Re: [EXPERIMENT] Emacs with the SpiderMonkey garbage collector

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: [EXPERIMENT] Emacs with the SpiderMonkey garbage collector
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2017 11:27:08 +0100

> I guess I'm an exceptional user, then, because I complain about it a
> lot. It's very much in embarrassing-pause territory here.
>
>> Also I think a non-moving GC will be a lot easier to accommodate.
>
> I suspect that I don't fully understand the benefits of a moving GC,
> because memory fragmentation alone simply has never been a problem for
> me.

If there is an embarrassing-pause, then using a non-incremental copying
collector won't help anyway.  OTOH XEmacs has an incremental mark and
sweep collector so Emacs should be able to remove the embarrassing-pause
without copying.  But I never looked at the respective codes of XEmacs
and SpiderMonkey so maybe I'm missing something.

martin