Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with co

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with consolidating widen calls
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2017 13:10:35 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>  address@hidden
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2017 10:50:24 +0000
>
> > IMO, C modes and Lisp modes must be supported well, before this lands
> > on master.
>
> Why?

Because Emacs is written in these 2 languages.  Sorry, I thought that
was clear.

> Web languages are a lot more common in mixed mode buffers (think
> HTML files and templates), so it's a lot more important to have that
> support in them (and we already do).

I expected those languages to be supported already, which is why I
didn't mention them.

> And, I'm sorry about this, but I want to land these changes in emacs-26,
> for one main reason: it simplifies, reworks and replaces the
> prog-indentation-context feature, which is not in Emacs 25.

It's too late for landing such features on emacs-26.  Sorry, it will
have to wait until Emacs 27.

Emacs 26 is nearing its release; the stream of serious bugs (or any
bugs, actually) seems to have died out.  So hopefully one more
pretest, and we will be ready to go.  Adding a significant new
feature, which will no doubt need changes in other places, is
incompatible with that.