Re: auto-revert error on macOS when auto-revert-use-notify is t

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: auto-revert error on macOS when auto-revert-use-notify is t
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2018 14:23:53 +0100

zhang cc <address@hidden> writes:

Hi,

> What about the following logic:
> When the auto-revert module known the file is renamed or deleted,
> delete the watch
> and start a one shot short timer(about 100ms) to check the visiting
> file of the buffer. On timeout,
> if the file exists, revert the file and add a new watch, otherwise,
> tell user the file doesn’t exist
> and fallback to the default polling(5s).
> Once the visiting file of the buffer can be accessed, go back to use
> file-notify again.

Sounds possible. However, I would make it optional. Some people might
dislike this feature, invisible under the hood. And the timeout of 100ms
might vary depending on the filesystem the supervised file is located
on. In case of remote files, this will be too short I fear.

I will put it in my TODO. If time permits, I'll work on this, if nobody
beats me. Saying this, it might be better if you send this proposal via
"M-x report-emacs-bug". I will convert this into a wishlist item, and it
is much more likely to be found by other people than on my private TODO
list.

Best regards, Michael.