Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2018 17:36:31 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2018 22:24:57 -0500
>
> Also we need to "interpret" the ChangeLog guidelines in the context of
> tools such as vc-region-history where we don't need to look through the
> ChangeLog just to know when a given piece of code was modified.

Let's not forget that we don't always have access to a VCS.  Moreover,
sometimes you are looking for information that is not easily gleaned
from Git history.  One example is establishing whether some change was
in Emacs XX.YY or in a later version.  Given our messy DAG and Git's
general indifference to branch-specific history, I find the
ChangeLog's in the tarball a better tool for this job.