Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2018 08:39:48 +0200

On January 4, 2018 7:00:33 AM GMT+02:00, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> I look at the feature's code, dig in with vc-region-history to get
> the
> >> corresponding commit, and that gives me the date.
> > That will only give you the latest change there.
>
> No, it gives me the whole history (which is one of the main benefits
> compared to "git blame": I'm not blinsided by cosmetic changes).
>

>         Stefan

Then you have back the problem with branches, since the changes
in the region will not tell you whether the change was merged or
backported etc.

Anyway, I don't really understand the point you are trying to make.  If you
are saying that ChangeLogs are _never_ useful in these situations,
then that's a strangely extremist view, and my experience is very far
from that.