Re: Fix some tooltip related problems

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Fix some tooltip related problems
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2018 10:38:58 +0200

> From: Daniele Nicolodi <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2018 16:33:38 -0700
>
> > A lot.  I'm firmly against removing toolkits to appease GTK.  I think
> > GTK is an unholy mess, which can some day simply stop being supported,
> > and we definitely shouldn't lose useful features in its favor.
>
> I may have misunderstood, but isn't it strange to being worried about
> GTK stopping being supported when comparing it to Motif?  I think it is
> much likely that X11 will stop being supported before GTK will have this
> fate.

My point is that Emacs should never put all of its eggs in the same
basket, when we consider basic software on which we rely for our
functionality.  So relying only on Motif, or only on Lucid, and
dropping all the rest, would be as wrong as dropping everything else
in favor of GTK.  Emacs should survive and remain useful even if one
of those packages becomes dead.