Re: Generation of tags for the current project on the fly

From: John Yates
Subject: Re: Generation of tags for the current project on the fly
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2018 20:50:02 -0500

> > > Invoking 'find' will always be faster, as it's optimized for
> > > traversing directory trees.
> >
> > 'git ls-files' will probably be faster still.
>
> Yes, but that only works in Git repositories.

The context of this discussion is _large_ projects.  My sense is
that git's efficiency relative to other SCM technologies means
that the larger the project the higher the likelihood of use git.

Also, when talking speed ripgrep has been a revelation:

  https://github.com/BurntSushi/ripgrep

Admitted that ripgrep is written in rust but a scanner exploiting
similar ideas could change what we imagine to be a big project.

/john