default-fill-column is gone

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: default-fill-column is gone
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 12:11:43 +0100

Hi

I just upgraded to GNU emacs 27.

Now I admit that I package which is a bit hm old, feedmail.

Now feedmail uses default-fill-column which in 27 does not exist any more. I found this entry in ChangeLog.3 2016-11-07 Mark Oteiza <address@hidden> Remove obsolete default-FOO variables * etc/NEWS: Indicate the removed variables. * lisp/emacs-lisp/edebug.el (edebug-outside-mark): Fix comment. * lisp/subr.el (default-mode-line-format, * default-header-line-format): (default-fill-column, default-cursor-type): (default-enable-multibyte-characters): Remove obsolete declarations. So there is no hint how to deal with this situation. Why couldn't variables be kept or at least some solution to be offered to guarantee backwards compatibility. For example which variables substitute default-fill-column, I presume it is fill-column. Since I use different emacs version but the same init file, for the moment I will add

(cond ((>= emacs-major-version 27) (setq default-fill-column fill-column)))

below you find the error message

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable default-fill-column) eval(default-fill-column) custom-initialize-reset(feedmail-fill-to-cc-fill-column default-fill-column) custom-declare-variable(feedmail-fill-to-cc-fill-column default-fill-column "*Fill column used by feedmail-fill-to-cc." :group feedmail-headers :type integer)

Uwe Brauer