RE: Change of Lisp syntax for "fancy" quotes in Emacs 27?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Change of Lisp syntax for "fancy" quotes in Emacs 27?
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2018 07:54:14 -0800 (PST)

> We're not talking about typos here.  The curly quotes aren't present on
> typical keyboard layouts (though I'm informed they are present on
> Finnish keyboards), so nobody who isn't Finnish will type one of these
> characters by accident.  We're talking about Emacs itself corrupting
> ASCII quotes into curly quotes in a `message' call because of the
> default setting of `text-quoting-style', and so on.
>
> Because of this, the error message should concentrate on that quote, not
> the strange symbol, which Emacs itself created.

Not necessarily.  Although I share your concern about
Emacs promulgating curly quotes, there is a real usage
problem akin to "typos": users copying text, including
Lisp code, from a web page or elsewhere, and pasting
it into Emacs as code to be evaluated at some point.

If the source of the copy has already changed simple
apostrophe to a curly quote (as one example) then that's
what gets passed to Emacs.  The person copy+pasting
may well have no clue about just which characters are
being copied.