Re: What improvements would be truly useful?

From: Aaron Ecay
Subject: Re: What improvements would be truly useful?
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 19:05:51 +0000

2018ko martxoak 5an, Rostislav Svoboda-ek idatzi zuen:

[...]

> I know it's a bitter pill to swallow, but let's face it - do we think,
> our bellowed Emacs will ever be able to display anything like the
> examples from https://threejs.org ?

Thanks to the xwidgets support (info "(elisp) Xwidgets"), it is possible
to embed a graphical web browser with full JS support in an emacs buffer.
So itʼs possible to have the best of both worlds: emacsʼs support for
text editing combined with the visualization and interactivity of modern
Javascript libraries.

Iʼm sure that there are ways that graphical programming (for lack of
a better term) in emacs could be made better, including Richardʼs
suggestions that launched this thread.  But we should be proud of
what we already have, rather than pessimistic.

Aaron

PS I donʼt know of any projects using three.js support in xwidgets
specifically; it could turn out that it doesnʼt quite work
(e.g. hardware-accelerated 3D or lack thereof might present an
obstacle).  But anyone can try it and find out, and hopefully if
problems arise figure out how to fix them.

--
Aaron Ecay