Re: Isearch interaction model

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Isearch interaction model
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 16:29:26 +0700

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 3:23 PM, Daniel Colascione <address@hidden> wrote:

> Are you using the regexp-ness of a search as a proxy for a search
> being interesting enough to be worth saving?

I think this is very close. A literal search is memorable because it
represents itself; if you need to reuse it, you can mostly just
re-type it. A regexp is not memorable because of unpronounceable
punctuation around the literal parts. So, when you need to reuse a
regexp, you have to either reconstruct it again (spending time), or
lift it from history.

> What if we could explicitly
> mark interesting searches for saving --- or even easily name them and bind
> them, like a keyboard macro?

Being able to name searches (and possibly search/replace pairs, too)
is an interesting idea. See success story: Thunderbird (where search
criteria on messages can be saved as a virtual folder).