Re: iswitchb

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: iswitchb
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 11:22:58 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> (superseded by the default use of substring completion in C-x b,

If that's documented somewhere, I've not been able to find it in the
docstring for `switch-to-buffer'. etc/NEWS.24 just says:

*** New completion style `substring'.

*** Completion of buffer names uses `substring' completion by default.

without explaining what substring means. It certainly has surprising
behaviour (with emacs-26):

src/emacs -Q
C-x C-f src/xdisp.c
C-x b di
C-x b sc TAB => *scratch*
C-x b di TAB => di [sole completion] ; I expected xdisp.c as well.

Is the actual behaviour substring-unless-exact-match or something?

Robert