Re: State of the overlay tree branch?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: State of the overlay tree branch?
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 08:30:55 +0200

> From: Sebastian Sturm <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 02:23:02 +0100
>
> 1st run:
> iteration 1: 0.001213
> iteration 2: 0.001170
> [...]
>
> after evaluating (test-highlight) the figures are as follows:
> 1st run:
> iteration 1: 0.026012
> iteration 2: 0.020334

So, between 20-fold and 100-fold slow-down.

> I'm not allowed to share my employer's source code as a test case, so I
> tried the same procedure with the similarly large DeclBase.h from the
> public LLVM repository. To my surprise, DeclBase.h didn't suffer from
> any performance issues at all. Switching to fundamental-mode while
> visiting my file didn't change anything, so I assume that c-mode isn't
> to blame either.

So it's still a mystery why your original file produces such a large
slowdown with overlays.

Can you show the results of "M-x profiler-report" for the slow test
with your original source file?  It could have some clues.  If that's
impossible, I can only repeat my suggestion to use perf to find the
code in Emacs that takes the lion's share of the processing time.