Re: Various fixes for early init file changes

From: Radon Rosborough
Subject: Re: Various fixes for early init file changes
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 09:36:26 -0700

> I cannot imagine any circumstance in which automatic deletion is
> acceptable.

Well, I am sympathetic to your viewpoint. However, I would qualify
your statement and say that any automatic modification would be bad if
there is at least one person whom it would hurt.

Certainly the original insertion of (package-initialize) hurt lots of
people, for example people who didn't want to use package.el. However,
reversing this change has the positive impact of speeding up people's
init times by as much as a factor of two in some cases, and it would
*only* affect people who had the comment automatically added (so they
didn't add it intentionally as part of their configuration).

Can anyone think of a case in which this automatic deletion might
cause a problem or be annoying?