Re: Split `simple.el'?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Split `simple.el'?
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2018 10:20:13 -0700

On 04/03/2018 11:50 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
I don't immediately
understand why would it be a hot spot when looking for fonts.

I don't either. However, when I profiled it on Fedora 27 (a low-level profile, with --enable-profiling) it was a hotspot. Although I am not observing the same horrible slowdown that Drew is (that is, first display of password-word-equivalents help is noticeably slower than for typical variables but it is not *horribly* slow), I'm suspicious of free_realized_fontsets, which is why I suggested that he comment it out.

We should move password-word-equivalents to an i18n-related file anyway (that is, regardless of Drew's problem), as password-word-equivalents doesn't belong in simple.el.