RE: Split `simple.el'?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Split `simple.el'?
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2018 18:17:55 -0700 (PDT)

> > Maybe you mean a persistent cache on disk?
>
> Yes, that's what I meant.  But in any case, there's no point
> discussing/considering it until the actual source of the problem is
> precisely characterized, and since his problem shows up long before
> those chars are actually displayed, I'm inclined to believe that his
> problem might depend on local configuration and the like.  IOW, for all
> I know, it might not occur with `emacs -Q`.  So we're far from having
> characterized the problem precisely.

  > How long does that take for you?

  emacs -Q: 1 min 15 sec
  my setup: 1 min 30 sec

But wrt visiting simple.el, where with my setup I see a
slowdown (~2 minutes) even without going to the part of
the file that has the problematic  defcustom, with
`emacs -Q' I do not see that same problem - there I see
a slowdown only when trying to show the defcustom.