Re: Split `simple.el'?

From: Jefferson Carpenter
Subject: Re: Split `simple.el'?
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2018 08:17:14 +0000

From: Jefferson Carpenter <address@hidden>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2018 22:45:14 +0000

On 4/4/2018 10:13 PM, John Wiegley wrote> On a similar note, I've been
meaning to rebind C-h h, because every time I
mistakenly hit it, Emacs completely locks up for about 30 seconds as it
fetches all those various Unicode characters to display. How long does that
take for you?

When I hit C-h h inside Emacs on Windows 8, it hangs up for 30 seconds.

Windows 8 added several fonts that are very large and cause slowdown
of the Emacs redisplay.  You can discover those fonts by moving the
cursor around in the buffer and watching for slowdown; then installing
alternative fonts for the same scripts will make the time much
shorter.  Start by installing Symbola, if you haven't already, as the
default Emacs fontset tells to use it for some Unicode blocks.

Interesting, I'll look into that later if I have time.

When I hit C-h h inside Putty, running Emacs on Linux over SSH, it takes
less than a second.

When you do that, the fonts are served by your local X server, which
runs on Windows, right?  Then I'm guessing that the X server already
has the fonts loaded since the last session of Emacs or other
programs, so the comparison is "unfair".

It takes 5 to 6 seconds on my Windows system to display etc/HELLO,
when I start with "emacs -Q", FWIW.

No X server at all - just running in terminal mode over SSH.