Re: Should wide-int be registered in features?

From: rocky
Subject: Re: Should wide-int be registered in features?
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2018 17:34:27 -0500 (CDT)

Stefan Monnier wrote
> But there are a couple additional features that might be helpful, both in > such a bytecode lint program and independent of that: whether emacs was > built with --with-wide-int. I don't see why that would be relevant: --with-wide-int should give pretty much the same result as building on a 64bit system. Stefan
"should" is not the same thing as "does". If I have this correct knowing this and knowing how the bytecode was created would have been helpful. Are there more bugs of this nature where setting the option has a differening behavior? Also, I believe there are performance differences and differences in capabilities. e.g --with-wide-int adds:
buffer and string size up to 2GB on 32-bit hosts, at the cost of 10% to 30% slowdown of Lisp
and how inside of Emacs is one supposed to know if this is in effect?

Sent from the Emacs - Dev mailing list archive at Nabble.com.