Re: next-error use cases

From: Charles A. Roelli
Subject: Re: next-error use cases
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2018 20:44:42 +0200

> Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2018 17:48:20 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
>
> > > Define some kind of priority between them?
> > I really doubt we can define priorities such that the user will always
> > want to see the errors of some "kind" before the others.
>
> Then maybe this problem has no workable solution at all, and we
> shouldn't try running all those features from the same command.

We could try, but in cases of doubt, ask the user what "next-error"
function he wants to use (and provide some command for actively
switching between them).  For example, after calling "next-error" in
some dubious case, the user could be offered a list of functions to
choose between:

- next Compile error from *compile*<dir>
- next Occur result from *scratch*
- next Grep result from *grep*<dir2>

There could also be other interfaces to pick a next-error function (a
menu, or something like M-x list-buffers).