Re: next-error use cases

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: next-error use cases
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 19:51:48 +0300

On 4/12/18 6:25 PM, Stephen Leake wrote:

Ok. So add a keybinding that says "there is an error under point; use
the list it is part of as the current error list".

A new key binding or several is an obvious solution. It's also the clunkiest one (one: key bindings are precious, two: that means extra key presses to use, and three: extra stuff for the users to memorize).

So of course we can fall back to this approach, but it would be great to discuss something less obvious first.

Presumably you already have "goto error under point"; that should also
set the current list.

(How do you notice there is an error there, so you know to position point?
a marker in the margin?)

The error is not always near point, or even visible in the window. To get to it, we need a key binding. So, next-error or previous-error working already would be helpful.

I gather there might be more than one such list in a single buffer, so
compilation-last-buffer is insufficient.

That's a problem for another day, I think. Lists in the same buffer can probably be combined anyway.