Re: RFC: Adding BBDB to Emacs core

From: Radon Rosborough
Subject: Re: RFC: Adding BBDB to Emacs core
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2018 10:10:39 -0700

>> I'd like to see what people think about also adding it to Emacs core.
>
> Personally I think this is the opposite direction to the one in which
> Emacs components should be moving.

I heartily agree here: as someone who is looking to modernize Emacs
package management, one of the biggest problems I see in the current
system is the fact that some (obsolete) versions of packages are
bundled with Emacs core. It is annoying in the same way that when
using a package manager on macOS, one must deal with the (obsolete)
versions of packages that are provided by macOS.

> (Wistfully thinking here yet again of the project to bundle GNU ELPA
> packages with Emacs releases...)

My ideal situation would be one in which one can additionally install
a version of Emacs that does *not* come bundled with any packages.
AFAICT, this project would help make that happen, so I am also in
support of that.

Best,
Radon