Re: EWW improvements: open in new buffer, tags, quickmarks, search engin

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: EWW improvements: open in new buffer, tags, quickmarks, search engines, ...
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 17:52:22 +0530

Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Hm...  Doesn't really sound all that useful?  But having that command
>>> give feedback (and perhaps query the user about what to do) in that
>>> situation would be handy.
>>
>> Why not useful?
>
> Because the vast majority of users won't create such a function.  It's
> more useful (i.e., for more people) if things work the way it should be
> default.
>
>> `eww-add-bookmark' already does duplicate detection, except that it's
>> very dumb: it won't realize if two bookmarks are the same up to the
>> protocol.
>
> But then it should be smarter, I think.  :-)

Sorry if I wasn't clear: I would not only make it customizable but also
set the default to a smart function, so that both `eww-write-bookmark'
and `eww-add-bookmark' exhibit a smarter behaviour.  If that would not
be smart enough to the users, they could still customize it.

> We could also do, but that does not compose as well as my suggestion.
>> For instance, how would you filter bookmarks by tags?
>
> Add a "narrow to tag" command to the mode?

I have to think about it a little more.

>>> Sounds great to me.  :-)  Make each thing into a patch (with
>>> documentation) and let the apply-to-Emacs-fest commence.  That is, if
>>> you've been through the assign-copyright-to-the-FSF-process.  I don't
>>> see you in the copyright.list file, but that's apparently out of date
>>> these days...
>>
>> I am assigned to Emms, does it count?
>
> Hm...  If it's specific to Emms, I don't think it's enough?  Anybody
> know?

I can sign another assignment, no problem with that :)

--
Pierre Neidhardt

It will be advantageous to cross the great stream ... the Dragon is on
the wing in the Sky ... the Great Man rouses himself to his Work.