Any interest in making Emacs available on Flathub?

From: Joonas Sarajärvi
Subject: Any interest in making Emacs available on Flathub?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2018 20:55:17 +0300

Hi,

TLDR: I would like to assist with making Emacs available at Flathub. Some packagings in this format exist already.

Now the rest of this is a bit wordy because I suspect that this format is a bit unfamiliar to many of the subscribers. So here it goes...

I would like to have GNU Emacs available in the Flatpak [1] format. I will not be surprised if someone prefers to receive their prebuilt copy of GNU Emacs in some other format, but for me it would be convenient to be able to have the exact same Emacs build on various computers I use. Flatpak is one way of achieving this without having to install the exact same GNU/Linux distribution on all the computers.

To get going with this, I have written a simple flatpak packaging [2] of Emacs, and based on a few days of testing it seems to be working pretty nicely for my needs. I do not think I have all the possible features enabled, though, because at this point I did not want to bundle extra libraries beyond those provided by the org.freedesktop.Sdk runtime that is used both for building emacs and running it.

Then in addition to the flatpak build that I wrote, I found at least one other at [3][4]. This packaging somewhat differs in some details, especially in how it uses different runtime and how it adds some bundled code to expand the functionality.

Anyway, I think it would make it easier to find Emacs in flatpak format if it was available on a publicly available repository. Similarly to how anyone can set up e.g. their own deb package repository, it is pretty easy to host flatpak repositories as well. There is however one particularly popular repository called Flathub [5] which hosts many fairly well known programs. Flathub is intended to be run so that ideally upstream projects provide the packagings, choosing e.g. a build configuration that best suits their particular program. They seem also open [6] to having "outsiders" provide such packagings in case upstream prefers to not interact with flatpak based software distribution.

Now I think I can basically submit GNU Emacs to Flathub myself, but I will not if someone with longer involvement with Emacs maintenance is interested in working on this instead of me. I would not expect it to be much work, especially if library bundling it kept to minimum. Then most of the necessary maintenance work would coincide with new Emacs releases becoming available. If someone wants to take this task, I'll be happy to help if I can. Otherwise, are there objections to me submitting the packaging to Flathub on my own? My understanding is that Flathub will transfer ownership to Emacs as an upstream project also later if Emacs as a project changes its mind on this.

Thanks,
- Joonas

[1] https://flatpak.org/
[2] https://bitbucket.org/muep/org.gnu.emacs/