Re: Encoding of etc/HELLO

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Encoding of etc/HELLO
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2018 17:34:45 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Eli,

> Michael, your recent changes to encode HELLO in UTF-8 are problematic
> and AFAIU should be reverted, because they lose the CJK charset
> information.  See
>
>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-08/msg01409.html
>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2013-03/msg00429.html
>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2013-03/msg00475.html
>
> and the surrounding discussions for more about that.

I see. No problem to revert the patch, it isn't important.

However, quoting the last reference above

When a file is in some legacy encoding such as iso-2022-7bit, Emacs
attached charset properties to proper ranges of text, which works as a
hint for selecting a proper font especially for CJK characters.

I'm wondering why it is possible to attach charset properties for
iso-2022-7bit, but not for utf-8. Note, that I don't know too much about
this topic.

Best regards, Michael.