Re: ns-popup-color-panel

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: ns-popup-color-panel
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2018 14:11:08 +0100

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 12:40:53AM +0200, Konrad Podczeck wrote:
> The Emacs manual that comes with the recent 26.1 pretest promises:
>
> "You can bring up a color panel with ‘M-x ns-popup-color-panel’ and
> drag the color you want over the Emacs face you want to change.  Normal
> dragging will alter the foreground color.  Shift dragging will alter the
> background color“
>

> However, while ns-popup-color-panel works, dragging a color to an
> Emacs frame fails to give the promised result.

I can confirm it doesn’t do anything. I turned on NSTrace and it
doesn’t even seem to be causing the drag/drop functions to be called.
It doesn’t work in Emacs 25 either.

Out of interest, what is the use case for this functionality? Can you
use it to modify a face then save it?

> (NB, it works, as promised, in the Aquamacs version of Emacs)

They must be applying a patch to fix it.

I was going to submit a documentation fix for Emacs 26, but I’ve just
noticed the macos.texi file is full of nonsense. There must have been
some big changes to drag and drop functionality (at least) since this
was written.

I’ll try and sort it out.
--
Alan Third