Re: Using the GNU GMP Library for Bignums in Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Using the GNU GMP Library for Bignums in Emacs
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2018 23:39:26 -0400

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Integer-Basics.html),

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Equality-Predicates.html).
  > Especially the second property is widely used.

This will continue to be true for all the integers that are currently
representable.  If we document that, maybe we won't have a lot of
places to fix.

  > Or we could make them different types: the usual operators on
  > fixnums would return fixnums, and the usual operators on bignums
  > would return bignums. Mixing both would always return a bignum.

Having two data types for integers would be a nuisance for many Lisp
programs.  It won't simplify anything, and it won't reduce the changes
needed in Lisp programs because of bignums.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Skype: No way! See https://stallman.org/skype.html.