Re: 26.1-rc1: global-set-key suggestions

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: 26.1-rc1: global-set-key suggestions
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2018 21:34:35 +0100

On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 12:49:57PM +0200, Bastien wrote:
> I interactively change the text size often enough to use these custom
> keybindings:
>
>   (global-set-key (kbd "C-+") 'text-scale-increase)
>   (global-set-key (kbd "C--") 'text-scale-decrease)
>   (global-set-key (kbd "C-=") 'text-scale-adjust)
>
> which is what I also use in other applications (e.g. Firefox) on a
> GNU/Linux machine.  I thought C-+/- was pretty standard.

MacOS commonly replaces C-X commands on other platforms with s-X.
Amusingly it means you get both emacs style bindings (e.g. C-a to move
to start of line) alongside CUA type bindings (e.g. s-a to select
all).

> C-+ and C-= are free in Emacs, but C-- is not, emulating C-u -, but
> I don't really mind having to type C-u - instead of C-- when I need.

Looks like the macOS super bindings will interfere with s--, which is
bound to center-line. center-line is also bound to M-o M-s, so I don’t
think that losing the s-- binding would be a huge problem.

This sounds like a good change, too late for Emacs 26, though.
--
Alan Third