Re: update intro to Emacs Lisp programming

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: update intro to Emacs Lisp programming
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 00:11:31 -0400

  > What I was saying was that in the 80's-90's, ie before computing
  > became widespread thanks to common access to the internet, books
  > needed to be self contained.

The Emacs Lisp intro should still be self-contained.

It should not depend on reference to anything across the internet,
since the person reading may not have an internet connection at the
time of coming across the reference.  Wen people are reading printed copies,
the book should not say, "To understand the next section, first read
something else on your computer".

For ethical reasons, we don't cite any nonfree material as
documentation.  We don't refer to anything on Youtube, ever, since
viewing Youtube in a browser entails running nonfree Javascript code
and it is an injustice to suggets people use that.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Skype: No way! See https://stallman.org/skype.html.