Re: edebug: regrettable loss of information in Emacs 26.1 when printing

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: edebug: regrettable loss of information in Emacs 26.1 when printing a variable's value.
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 19:04:49 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 20:58:27 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 17:10:19 +0000
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>

> > In the upcoming Emacs 26.1, I'm in edebug.  In the program I'm
> > debugging, there is something nasty in the variable
> > `syntax-propertize-function', and I need to find out what.

> > So I do "e" and type in that variable name.

> > What comes back is this:

> >     #f(compiled-function (start end) #<bytecode 0x191eb39>)

> > .  This is thoroughly unhelpful.  In previous versions of Emacs, this
> > would have printed out the function in enough detail to give variable
> > names, function names, etc., which could be used to search through the
> > Emacs source with.

> Did you try setting cl-print-compiled to the value 'disassemble' or
> 'static'?

Er, no.  :-)  I'm trying to simulate an ordinary user at the moment.  Now
that I know what to look for, I found an entry in NEWS.

[ Comments about this entry withheld, after seeing you asked Noam for
another entry in NEWS. ]

Thanks for acting on this so rapidly.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).