Re: How much do we care about undefined behavior triggered by invalid by

From: Philipp Stephani
Subject: Re: How much do we care about undefined behavior triggered by invalid bytecode?
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 17:37:27 +0200

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> schrieb am Di., 22. Mai 2018 um 16:51 Uhr:
Noam Postavsky wrote:
> Oh, you meant just reading the object causes a crash?

I doubt he meant that. Surely he meant that if you read and then execute a
bytecode object, you can easily crash Emacs.

No, I did mean "read." For example, the following triggers an assertion:

emacs -Q -batch -eval '(let ((load-force-doc-strings t)) (read "#[0 \"\"]"))'

./lisp.h:1723: Emacs fatal error: assertion failed: 0 <= idx && idx < ASIZE (array)

Fatal error 6: Abort trapAbort trap: 6