Re: update intro to Emacs Lisp programming

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: update intro to Emacs Lisp programming
Date: Wed, 30 May 2018 19:28:42 +0200

On 2018-05-24, at 18:25, Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> wrote:

> () Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden>
> () Tue, 22 May 2018 20:07:11 +0200
>
>    [...] an idea to write a "next step" book on Emacs Lisp, one
>    that could be read after the Intro [...]
>
>    Would someone here be interested in something like this?
>
> I'd be interested.  I was thinking to propose some kind of
> collaboration (since i like writing documentation and maybe you
> might like another set of hands/eyes on the text), and then saw
> your other post where you explain your intention in detail.  If
> you'd like to discuss collaboration possibilities, please feel
> free to contact me off-list.

Hi,

and thanks for your response.  (Frankly, I was a bit disappointed in
general - I counted on some more replies.  And now I don't know whether
the Emacs people found my goals offensive or whether just nobody
cares...)

Definitely, a pair of eyeballs to look for errors/omissions etc. would
be great.  I'll definitely keep that in mind!  Also, I wouldn't mind
some kind of brainstorming about what to include and how to structure
the book.  As for writing itself, I'd prefer to do that myself, for
a few reasons.  One of them is that I've recently made a mistake of
agreeing to coauthor a book with someone whom I didn't know close enough
to know that we share a common vision and (at least some) values, and
the experience turned out to be rather nightmarish...  I am now much
more hesitant to take such a risk again.  I hope that you understand
that I don't want to sound offensive - I just don't know you well enough
to be sure that we would spend more time writing than fighting over what
and how to write;-).  After all, we are just proverbial "strangers on
the internet"...

Plus I'd like the book to have a personal touch (a bit like Elisp Intro
and unlike most technical documentation), and that makes collaboration
much trickier.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski