Re: movemail location

From: Joseph Mingrone
Subject: Re: movemail location
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2018 23:45:33 -0300

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Joseph Mingrone <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden
>> Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2018 16:39:55 -0300

>> > Ah, ok.  So you are saying that instead of

>> >   (expand-file-name "movemail" exec-directory)

>> > gnus/mail-source.el should use just "movemail", is that right?

>> Robert's suggestion [1] sounds reasonable.

>> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=31737#15

> And mine doesn't?  If so, could you say why?

Let's make sure we are on the same page.

This is what Robert suggested.

"Perhaps gnus should check in 'exec-directory' first if
mail-source-movemail-program is nil, and then fall back to
'executable-find'? Or perhaps we should just forget about 'our' movemail
and require people to install Mailutils.

I think you are suggesting that Gnus simply specify the executable name,
movemail, and PATH will take care of finding it.  Is that correct?
Assuming that works, that also seems reasonable.  The only possible
drawback could be for users who specify a value for
`mail-source-movemail-program'.  Won't that value be ignored?