Re: Emacs Hangs on Filesystem Operations on Stale NFS

From: Alexander Shukaev
Subject: Re: Emacs Hangs on Filesystem Operations on Stale NFS
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 13:05:15 +0200

On 2018-06-11 13:01, Andreas Schwab wrote:
On Jun 11 2018, Alexander Shukaev <address@hidden> wrote:

I initiated a discussion back in 2015 [1] about fragility of Emacs in
terms of filesystem operations on stale NFS. No solution actually came
out of this discussion.  I still find this issue very disruptive.  Yet
another example would be `recentf-cleanup' which is in my case triggered on Emacs start up, when the file comes from stale NFS, the corresponding `file-readable-p' down the stack will hang indefinitely, and there would
be no way to unfreeze it apart from issuing 'kill -9' to that Emacs
instance.  Don't you people find it unacceptable for the daily usage?

How is that a bug in Emacs if you have stale NFS mounts?

Andreas.

I didn't find a word "bug" in that quote. I'd rather call it a robustness enhancement. By the way, I guess you just don't realize how easy it is to run into that situation on daily basis.