Re: Emacs Hangs on Filesystem Operations on Stale NFS

From: Alexander Shukaev
Subject: Re: Emacs Hangs on Filesystem Operations on Stale NFS
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 14:41:12 +0200

On 11 June 2018 at 08:22, Alexander Shukaev
On 2018-06-11 14:20, Noam Postavsky wrote:

On 11 June 2018 at 08:11, Alexander Shukaev
<address@hidden> wrote:

Does it work? According to some messages on the previous thread you
referenced [1], NFS hangs happen in the kernel so a signal would not
help.

[1]:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2015-11/msg00266.html

Go ahead and try:

I don't have a hanging NFS server here, so I can't do any useful testing.

Oh, I have plenty of suggestions for you. Just pull the network plug out...
:D

I mean, I don't have an NFS server at all. I suppose I could try
installing one...

There are plenty of other ways why those file operations might hang. For example, [1].

[1] http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/63071/local-regular-file-causes-stat-or-ls-l-to-hang