Re: Blink Cursor mode is off by default

From: dancol
Subject: Re: Blink Cursor mode is off by default
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 21:12:52 -0700

> On June 12, 2018 5:33:32 AM GMT+03:00, Daniel Colascione
> <address@hidden> wrote:

>> right?

>> blink-cursor-mode so
>> >
>> > I think it's too gross.
>>
>> Why? We have a tool. Let's use it.
>
> I cannot explain it, but it sounds inelegant.
>
> I think we can use (get var 'standard-value) instead to detect
> variables that were modified in early-init, and refrain from
> reinitializing them the second time.

Does that work? In the case of (blink-cursor-mode -1), we just set
blink-cursor-mode to nil --- but it starts nil anyway, so we can't tell
the difference. The standard-value property doesn't help, I think.

>> > I suggest you don't.  This is not what early-init.el is for.
>>
>> Why not? Now I can have the entire configuration loaded before the
>> first
>> frame is created. It looks clean.
>
> Clean, but unsafe, as important parts of startup has not yet
> been done.  E.g., anything related to fonts or faces will probably
> not work reliably at that point.

Works fine for me. We don't run early init _that_ early: it comes before
packages and site files, but the basic machinery is up. All I want is the
ability to configure the first frame before it appears, and only X
resources and early-init provide this ability.