Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 938d252 4/4: Make regex matching reentrant; upd

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 938d252 4/4: Make regex matching reentrant; update syntax during match
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 12:27:00 -0400

On Tue, 19 Jun 2018 09:20:43 -0700 Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
wrote:
> If we're going to go to that much work, why not use glibc regex? It
> uses a DFA and falls back on backtracking only when needed.
> Although glibc regex isn't maintained that well, it's at least
> maintained, which TRE is not. And it does have some advantages: it
> has an API that is like Emacs src/regex.c, and it won't have any
> licensing issues. Its main disadvantage (it doesn't support split
> buffers) could be overcome fairly easily, either by adding support
> for that back into the library, or arranging for a single array
> whenever the regex matcher is called.

That's also an option. I really like the idea of being able to do
approximate searches in files, but it's not that big a deal. (Does
the glibc stuff have appropriate unicode support etc?)

Truthfully, my biggest interest is in seeing the default regex syntax
migrate to something much more modern, and that can be done
regardless of which engine we use.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden