Re: follow-mode: extremely slow in combination with org-mode

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: follow-mode: extremely slow in combination with org-mode
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 19:55:35 +0300

> From: Gerald Wildgruber <address@hidden>
> CC: <address@hidden>, <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 14:08:44 +0200
>
> I tried the patched follow.el (the one that contains the modified
> follow-calc-win-end) on my somewhat slower (but also new quad core)
> office machine, unfortunately no amelioration of lag was noticeable.
>
> Same procedure: patching follow.el, starting the profiler, loading the
> patched uncompiled version into emacs via M-x load-file and finally
> start editing.
>
> The lag remains enormous (e.g. more than a second lag between typing RET
> and seeing a newline on screen); I noticed however, that upon typing RET
> one time, the newline comes almost immediately; but after typing more
> RETs they take ages to appear on screen.
>
> Bizarrely, this happened also: redisplay takes very long and it
> apparently aborts leaving paragraphs before point unfilled, one long
> line of text (I always use auto-fill-mode).

Then this method of debugging the problem is no longer efficient, I'd
need to run this on my system to see what's going on.

So please use "M-x report-emacs-bug RET" to file a bug report about
this, and please attach to the report the Org file where you observe
the problems.  (You can replace the text of the headings and the
bodies of your entries with some random character, to protect your
private stuff, but please leave the parts that control Org mode
intact.)

Thanks.