Re: A couple of questions and concerns about Emacs network security

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: A couple of questions and concerns about Emacs network security
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2018 17:00:08 -0700

On 06/22/2018 04:21 PM, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

On 06/22/2018 03:00 PM, Jimmy Yuen Ho Wong wrote:
1. Can we update the default network security settings?
Yes, I would think so, in the master branch. As you say, the current
defaults are inappropriate for today's users.
They are?  In what way?

I was concerned about Emacs Lisp code that calls the gnutls API directly. However, you wrote in a later message that Emacs Lisp code desiring network security should use open-network-stream and use NSM, so perhaps very little (if any) Emacs code is like what I was worried about. If so, the defaults shouldn't matter too much.

I like your suggestion of changing the doc strings of gnutls.el to make it less likely to get future bug reports about this (a la bug#17660 etc.). I'm not expert enough in GnuTLS to know what should go into those doc strings, though.