Re: vc-dir operation is very slow on large git repositories in Emacs 26.

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: vc-dir operation is very slow on large git repositories in Emacs 26.1
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2018 16:06:27 +0300

On 6/28/18 3:55 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

That wasn't my concern.  My concern was about "cached" vs "unmerged".
I think I understand the former (it's about the staged files, right?),
but what does the latter mean, and how does it affect what we need in
this case from Git.  IOW, if -c is not necessary, why not just disable
it?  Or is that not possible, and -u is the way to disable it?

-c and -u are mutually exclusive options.

"cached", here, means all registered (or simply staged) files.

-u limits the output to unmerged files only.

So the question here is whether "unmerged" covers all files we want to assign the "conflict" status to. I think it does.