Re: [Emacs-diffs] fix/bug-2034 21904f5: Support mode line constructs for

From: Phil Sainty
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] fix/bug-2034 21904f5: Support mode line constructs for 'mode-name' in c-mode (bug#2034)
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2018 10:37:27 +1200

On 2018-07-04 09:03, Stefan Monnier wrote:
At that point, why use `format` here instead of using mode-line
constructs for everything, as in:

    (setq c-mode-line-flags
          '("/"
            (c-block-comment-flag "*" "/")
            ...))

Then c-update-modeline doesn't need to be called repeatedly since the
refresh is done automatically by force-mode-line-update.

That's true. It would mean that a bit more work is happening per modeline
render, vs only (I think?) calculating the flags when they change; but
assuming that's nothing to worry about, it sounds sensible to me too.

-Phil