Re: Keybinding for finding definition by mouse

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Keybinding for finding definition by mouse
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2018 20:09:49 +0300

> From: Tobias Gerdin <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2018 22:06:18 +0200
>
> A function for jumping to a definition by clicking on an identifier was
> recently added to master.[1]
>
> For mouse users like myself this invoking this is probably the second
> mouse common use of the mouse (after text selection) so I propose we add
> a default binding for it in the global map. So which one?

I wonder whether we should.  I think people who like to use the mouse
for xref-find-definitions will bind the command to something handy,
like C-mouse-1 (and give up on, or rebind, mouse-buffer-menu).  We
cannot do that by default, and OTOH binding it to something like
C-M-mouse-1 sounds too difficult to use (and then there's the problem
of binding xref-pop-marker-stack).

I'm also not convinced many people will want such a binding, as most
of us use the keyboard for these commands.

So I think we should leave this unbound by default, at least for now,
and rely on people who want this on a mouse click to make their local
changes.