Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 23:36:56 +0100

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018, 19:14 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
> Cc: Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden>,
>   address@hiddenaddress@hiddenaddress@hidden
> Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 17:31:57 +0000
>
> EZ> There's only one command: "C-x 4 a".
>
> I think that's not entirely accurate. It sort of works for most cases
> from a single file. But it opens a ChangeLog file, not a commit entry,
> which is really odd. And it has many other special behaviors (e.g.
> doesn't regenerate entries if the code changes).

Yes, it opens ChangeLog, but copy-pasting from there to the log buffer
when committing is trivial, right?  And you will see that our
.gitignore conveniently ignores .ChangeLog

To be fair, there isn't even any copy-paste involved if you use vc-next-action and such.

But that doesn't mean it's not horribly impractical. I hate the ChangeLog buffers, especially how they interact with save-some-buffers because invariably I end up saving them inadvertently.

I wish there was a way to make these buffers without buffer-file-name and still have vc collect the entries from them.  Also, after committing, the entries would actually be removed.

Would a patch for this be welcome?

This would be a big improvement for me, because otherwise I quite like the ChangeLog format. It has saved my hide many times, especially during tricky merges or rebases.