Re: The netsec thread

From: Jimmy Yuen Ho Wong
Subject: Re: The netsec thread
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 15:58:18 +0100

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 9:17 AM, Robert Pluim <address@hidden> wrote:
> Jimmy Yuen Ho Wong <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> And, as I've said before,
>>> `paranoid' should stay.
>>>

>> Eli's use case has already been taken cared of by
>> `nsm-trust-local-network`. `paranoid has been aliased to `high for
>> backward compatibility.
>>
>> Robert do you still object to removing the `paranoid level? I've
>> removed that prompt that askes for permission on every TLS connection
>> due to crying-wolf effect.
>
> As Iʼve said before: I donʼt think many people need to be prompted
> every time a TLS connection is set up from emacs to a host thatʼs
> never been seen before, but I do, as I need to inspect the connection
> parameters. Yes itʼs annoying, but I can live with self-imposed
> annoyance.

Deep human packet inspector Robert :)

Would you mind expanding a bit more on that need to inspect the
connection params when you connect to a host you've never seen before?
Currently the prompt doesn't really show you nearly enough to inspect
connection params. I want to make sure your need is taken cared of
properly (I'm contemplating an actual debug mode that prompts after
every handshake) without introducing something into emacs that's so
far only useful for one person.

>> If there isn't an objection from people who've found use for it, I'd
>> really like to try without 'paranoid on master later before declaring
>> it insufficient.
>
> I guess I could always add my own function into 'high, but Iʼd prefer
> it if it was available by default.

I can alternatively resurrect that functionality as a separate check
that's available but not added to any levels. You can add it to any
level in Customize easy enough, but not so easy that a naive user
would enable in the hope for more security. Would this be an
acceptable compromise?