Re: Introducing thread-safe Tramp

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Introducing thread-safe Tramp
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 19:37:42 +0300

> From: Michael Albinus <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 18:11:59 +0200
>
> > What happens if find-file or its subroutine ask a question that the
> > user must answer?
>
> It's presented in the minibuffer, and you can answer. But perhaps, it is
> hidden by other messages. One of my open points.

What bothers me more is that it sounds like you trigger redisplay from
a non-main thread (because 'message' triggers a special type of
redisplay).  Moreover, what happens if the main thread is in the
middle of prompting the user by a command that runs in the main
thread?

I suggest to test these situations and see what happens and whether
something (perhaps some infrastructure) is needed to DTRT in those
cases.

P.S. I'm glad to finally see a major Emacs package going threaded.