Re: [Feature Discuss] Nested buffer

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: [Feature Discuss] Nested buffer
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 16:54:18 +0000

Hello, Phil.

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 11:15:20 +1200, Phil Sainty wrote:
> On 2018-07-24 08:31, Clément Pit-Claudel wrote:
> > I think anything that was covered by the islands proposals

> That sprang to my mind too.  What is the current state of the
> "islands" work?  Is it still just a discussion, or is there
> code as well?

Neither, really.  :-(  I still think it is a sound proposal, but the
amount of work involved in implementing it would be so immense that it
would take a team of three to six people to do it.  It would certainly be
beyond my abilities to do on my own.  My feeling, when the topic was
under discussion, was that the requisite enthusiasm and commitment wasn't
there.  To be honest, that would be expecting rather a lot.

A project of that size would inevitably involve coordination, and other
project management things, like agreeing on interfaces, and possibly
having deadlines and such.  There's no experience of anything like this
in the Emacs project, at least, not that I'm aware of.

So I don't think that the "islands" proposal is going to get implemented.
Which is a pity.

[ .... ]

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).