Re: Introducing thread-safe Tramp

From: Filipp Gunbin
Subject: Re: Introducing thread-safe Tramp
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 22:04:04 +0300

On 25/07/2018 11:46 +0200, Michael Albinus wrote:

> Running the commands asynchronously is very tight bound to the usual
> invocation of the commands, so I don't see that something else, which
> might asks for a prefix argument of the commands, will be better suited.

I don't like prefix arg, too.  It feels like prefix arg should change
the user-visible behaviour of the command, and running asynchronously
feels more like a technical detail, though important one.

Maybe there could be rules for find-file to use async behavior by
default, like:

- When a non-local method is explicitly used (that is, not /sudo)

- When default-directory is on a remote host

- When a file being visited is greater than some customizable size

- When a special command was given before (analogy with `C-x RET c' was
already mentioned here).  That special command by default could "toggle
default".  It could accept prefix arg, say C-u for "force sync" and C-u
C-u for "force async".  That way sync/async preference will be decoupled
from the actual command, and could be added to any other command in the
future.