Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-26 0feb673: Display raw bytes as belonging to 'e

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-26 0feb673: Display raw bytes as belonging to 'eight-bit' charset
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2018 12:49:10 -0400

>> I know and understand what this charset is for.  Yet I don't see why
>> eight-bit-control chars should be reported as belonging to this charset
>> (any more than they should be reported to belong to any of the other
>> charsets to which they may also belong, such as all the iso8859
>> charsets).
>
> Because ISO-8859 charsets don't include bytes between 128 and 159
> (inclusive), I guess.

According to the info I found, tis620 doesn't include those codes either
(and doesn't include 160 either, contrary to iso8859-11 which is
otherwise identical).

> We actually don't want to expose eight-bit-control to users at all, we
> want there to be a single charset called 'eight-bit' covering all the
> raw bytes.

Fair enough, then the chars in eight-bit-control should have `eight-bit`
as their canonical charset (no matter the user's language environment).

        Stefan