Re: list-threads

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: list-threads
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 09:56:04 +0200

Gemini Lasswell <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello All,

Hi Gemini,

> I've just pushed a commit to scratch/list-threads which might be useful
> to those of you working with threads in Emacs. There is a new command
> 'list-threads' which produces a tabulated list buffer showing the
> currently live threads with their status, sets a timer to keep it
> refreshed, and provides two commands, 's q' and 's e' for sending quit
> and error signals, respectively, to the thread at point.

Nice. I've cherry-picked it into the feature/tramp-thread-safe
branch. Works as expected.

Just some first thoughts:

If I'm visiting many files (say .../emacs/admin/*), there are as many
threads as files in that directory, 30+ in this case. Refreshing does
not work as fast as hoped - sure, the main thread is just one thread
amongst the other threads. Maybe we need some priorization, that a given
thread (the main thread here) gets mor hits in thread-yield.

What happens if you call list-threads from another thread but the main
one? (Haven't tested myself).

> Next up I'm going to see if my rusty C skills are up to adding a
> 'thread' argument to the backtrace primitives, to make it possible to
> generate a backtrace for any thread from the thread list buffer.

Sounds very useful. On my wishlist would also be edebug support for
threads, this doesn't work at all.

Thanks for your work, and best regards, Micghael.