Re: Introducing thread-safe Tramp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Introducing thread-safe Tramp
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 10:44:07 +0200

Drew Adams <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Drew,

>> As you have seen the other mail, I'm using now C-u to toggle the default
>> value of find-file-asynchronously. I'm open for any other key binding,
>> but C-u has the advantage that it works for both "C-u C-x C-f ..." and
>> "C-u M-x find-file ..." and friends.
>
> (Don't you mean that `C-u' simply toggles `find-file-asynchronously' -
> its current value, not its default value?)

Of course.

> As mentioned, I don't think it's a good idea to spend/waste the use of
> a prefix arg on this. (Just one opinion.) To me, it doesn't matter so
> much that such commands are longstanding and we haven't yet seen
> competing requests for prefix-arg behavior.
>
> But if that's the way this will be done (`C-u' toggles `
> find-file-asynchronously') then please consider this instead: Don't
> co-opt the use of an arbitrary prefix arg; instead, do what you
> propose only for `C-u C-u' (double plain prefix arg). That will make
> it much easier to accommodate other uses of (other) prefix args in the
> future.

If nobody objects, I could do this. However, during the discussion it
was proposed to find a common indication for asynchronous file
operations.

`C-u C-u' will work for the `find-file' family of commands, but it
doesn't work for `save-buffer', which uses already `C-u', `C-u C-u',
`C-u C-u C-u' and `C-u 0'.

Best regards, Michael.