RE: tabulated-list sort icon is reversed

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: tabulated-list sort icon is reversed
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 07:48:48 -0700 (PDT)

> Perhaps it should be noted that Emacs is not alone in using the
> arrow heads this way. The file manager on my Elementary OS system
> (Patheon) uses ▼ (i.e., a down-pointing triangle) to indicate
> sorting A-Z and 0-9, the Rhythmbox music player does as well, and
> the same goes for the image viewer Geeqie (e.g., in its Exif
> metadata window).
>
> Could be a GNU/Linux vs. Windows / MacOS thing, I don't know. I
> find Emacs' current way of doing things more intuitive, but that's
> just me. I don't think you're ever gonna reach consensus on this
> one.

It's the case that MS Windows does it the other way around:
^ means values are currently sorted from low to high (going
down the column). IOW, the triangle _reflects_ the current
sort order - it is a depiction, in a way, of the sorted values.

To me, that makes more sense. But I agree with this statement:

> But I must also say that I generally only look at these indicators
> to see which column is sorted, not to find out how it's sorted,
> because I find it's quicker (for me) to just look at a few items.

Still, for some kinds of data looking quickly at the topmost few
values might not be as quick as looking at the column symbol,
once you are used to its meaning.

If this is mainly (only?) a platform thing then maybe Emacs
should do something different for different platforms - dunno.